Re: [CR] Gangl tubing type?

Example: Framebuilders:Alberto Masi

Subject: Re: [CR] Gangl tubing type?
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:56:04 +0000

Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 15:30:09 -0700 From: Phil Brown <> Cc: CR Mailing List <> Subject: Re: [CR] Gangl tubing type? Message: 9

On May 15, 2008, at 2:07 PM, George Allen wrote:
> I am assembling components for my 1986 Richard Gangl frame. It's
> lugged steel and so I trust is on-topic as a KOF item. I measured the
> ID of the seat tube and was surprised that it is 27.4mm. I've measured
> several times, several ways with several different instruments and
> it's always 27.4. So my question is, what type of tubing would this
> be. I have tried to call Mr.Gangl innumerable times but have been
> unable to reach him.
> 0.9/0.6 531 seat tubes frequently measure 27.4. Phil Brown it's a scorcher today in Berkeley, Calif.

Um (with apologies to those in the UK), not bloody likely....

531 seat tubes are normally .8/.5 and require a 27.2 mm post. If they were a tenth thicker, they would require a 0.2 mm smaller (27.0) post, not a larger one. The only Reynolds tubing that I know of with a .9/.6 seat tube is 501. Relatively heavy stuff.

George, 27.4 most often indicates either Columbus KL, Reynolds 753R or 753T, or Ishiwata 015, all of which were likely available in 1986. What size is the frame, is it road or track, and what do the frame and fork weigh?

Greg Parker
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA