Just returned form Cirque,had a marvelous time and what not.....a few observations and questions?
1. the swap seemed a bit off from previous years--more modern stuff and more 'framebuilders'. Seemed like anyone and everyone is building lugged steel these days.
2. Seemed an emphasis on randonneuring types. Are we collectively getting older/heavier/trendier. The going extremely slow on a heavy bike with a extended paunch seemed Au rigour this time.
3. On randonneuring? what is with the multiple gear shifters and multiple brake levers. Is it to expend the least amount of calories whilst randonneuring; or, is a belt and suspenders kind of anxiety driven moxy?
4. Was it me or did some fellas seemed quite baked? I talked to a few about a 'racing' bike that was leaning on the side of a barn which between the 4 of them they couldn't figure if it was for sale or not but did direct me to a guy in a long green T shirt who assured me that it was not really for sale. Did these fellas just roll out of a Cheech & Chong movie or what?
5. The little hats and wool I don't get in 100 degree weather. Is there some sort of underground S&M current to this group of which I was not alerted?
6. The daisy dukes at the gate were a nice touch, but what do we need to do to up the babe quotient at up coming Cirques? (As a side note can we all chip in so as to not have to groove on the serpentine pant suit/jumper next year).
7. The kettlecorn was great. The bratwurst made me jealous and there were no midgets in the midget kitchen.
8. Where were all the Cali boys? Gorski, Gabus, Fellows, Vincent C?